Dulcimers deliver beautiful hums that can be soothing to everyone’s ears. However, having the wrong dulcimer can leave you exasperated and feeling lost in the band. The key is to have the best mountain dulcimer that can help you produce smoother and softer sounds soothing for everyone listening to it.
As you might know, finding the dulcimer that suits you and your requirements best is always easily said than done. The myriad of options and brands available in the market only makes it that much harder.
Best Mountain Dulcimer 2018
Since that is the case, we have come up with a list of 5 best mountain dulcimers, which will help you choose the one meeting all your requirements. We have toiled day in and day out researching and studying about these dulcimers to ensure that the details we bring are what you want to know about each of these dulcimers.
During our researches, we have found that each dulcimer produces unique sounds depending on the type and the brand you choose. Hence, it is important that you choose the one that is ideal to you to be able to play it the way you want.
1. 39098 Seagull Merlin Mahogany SG Dulcimer Guitar, Natural
Made by Seagull, the renowned stringed-instrument company in La Patrie, Quebec, the ‘Godin Guitars 39098 Seagull Merlin Mahogany SG Dulcimer Guitar, Natural’ is sure to provide you all the fun and excitement you are looking for.
As compact as a dulcimer can get, this is a smaller diatonic acoustic instrument. The instrument is easy to be carried around for anyone wanting to create beautiful melodies wherever they go. One of the major characteristics of the dulcimer is that it makes playing the instrument so easy. We can say that anyone who can manage to press strings can easily start paying the same, which makes it one of the best dulcimers.
Also, this dulcimer can be learned easily even for beginners. During our researches, we could not find any instrument with such a low learning curve as with this dulcimer and it is easily the best dulcimer anyone can get.
When it comes to playing dulcimers, it takes you to another level making you feel like an expert. It can surely make you all the more confident and feel that the music flows naturally, easier.
- The instrument boasts of impeccably good tuners that are absent in many other stringed instruments available in the marker for this price ranges.
- It is easy to carry around and play, which is not easy with many stringed instruments in the market.
- Compact and small, which makes it very convenient.
Customers who bought this said:
- Easier to play than many other stringed instruments.
- Carefully and well-built on mahogany wood body, which makes it one of the stronger and best dulcimers to get your hands on.
- Though the instrument is compact and small, it produces loud sounds.
- As the strings are neatly built into the body, they have longer life.
2. Applecreek ACD100 Dulcimer
The next dulcimer that we bring to you is Applecreek ACD100 Dulcimer, one of the best dulcimers that you can get at a much cheaper price than the one we have discussed previously. On seeing the dulcimer, one can understand the care and craftsmanship that has been put into the design aspects of this dulcimer.
Like some of the best dulcimers that one can find in the market, the Applecreek ACD100 Dulcimer is also made with utmost care to produce exceptionally sweet and soothing sounds. Whether you need the dulcimer to play at your band or for yourself, Applecreek ACD100 Dulcimer proves to be the best dulcimer you can find.
Sporting elegant design elements, simple appearance and a strong build, Applecreek ACD100 Dulcimer could be the best dulcimer you have been looking for.
- Applecreek ACD100 Dulcimers are an all-wood dulcimer crafted to perfection and beauty by one if the well-regarded dulcimer manufactures.
- The dulcimers are and handcrafted and imported from Romania in order to ensure highest quality.
- The dulcimer is one of the best looking dulcimers in the market as extra care has been taken to keep the aesthetical elements uncompromised of the dulcimer.
Customers who bought this said:
- Applecreek ACD100 is smooth, easy to play and learn.
- The instrument is easily playable even by the beginners as well.
- The case that comes with the dulcimer provides additional protection for the instrument and the dulcimer is more convenient to carry around in the case.
- The pick and noter device that comes with the dulcimer is an additional benefit for the users.
3. Professional European Cherry Mountain Dulcimer
For those buyers that want the best mountain dulcimer that can produce high quality sounds and have a better build quality than other dulcimers in the list, the Professional European Cherry Mountain Dulcimer is the best choice.
The dulcimer looks top-notch, beautiful and extremely compact, which makes the dulcimer one of best mountain dulcimers one can get in the market.
The sounds produced by the dulcimer are excellent, which one expects to get from any of these instruments. This is, in fact, the best dulcimer that a professional player can consider buying to get high quality sounds that do not let them down.
Professional European Cherry Mountain Dulcimer, too, is compact making it easy to handle and play even for kids, like all the other dulcimers we have reviewed here.
- The dulcimer dons beautiful cherry wood finish.
- Professional European Cherry Mountain Dulcimer is able to produce much better and richer than most of its counter parts.
- It comes with a case, which makes the whole affair of carrying the dulcimer around easier and convenient.
- It feels ideal even for professional stringed instrument players that look for unique sounds.
Customers who bought this said:
- The build quality of the dulcimer is top-notch and justifies the high price tag of the same.
- The case that comes with the dulcimer is an excellent addition to the instrument.
- The stability of the dulcimer is far superior to some of the best dulcimers available in the market.
- Works exceptionally well as the best dulcimer choice for professional players.
4. Backyard Music 3-String Simplicity Dulcimer
Though it feels specifically designed to make the learning process of playing any stringed instrument easier and simpler, the Backyard Music 3-String Simplicity Dulcimer is an excellent stringed instrument offering exactly what the buyers are looking for—fine and smooth sound, at prices that seem legit.
Though the dulcimer seems custom-made for kids, it is equally playable for adults who want a stringed instrument that they can carry around without much trouble. In this department, we can undoubtedly say that Backyard Music 3-String Simplicity Dulcimer is one the very best dulcimers in the market.
As for colors, the dulcimers come in different colors. And, if you are planning to buy it for your kids, you have plenty of options to choose the favorite color of your kids (if it’s in offer) to make it all the more exciting for your kids.
- The dulcimer is a pre-finished one that sports a wooden fretboard and a sturdy 275-lb. cardboard soundbox.
- The soundbox that comes with the dulcimer rocks different colors, which makes it the best dulcimer for kids in the market as of now.
- The 3-String Simplicity Dulcimer is a well-built and carefully crafted one at surprisingly affordable prices.
Customers who bought this said:
- The dulcimer is very compact and is easy to hold and play.
- Works great for kids who want to learn playing more serious stringed instruments like guitar.
- What makes Backyard Music 3-String Simplicity Dulcimer one of the best dulcimers right now in the market is its price.
- The dulcimer feels very rich and plush and with the carefully aligned strings making it the best dulcimer at the price it offers.
5. Seagull 039227 Merlin Spruce SG Dulcimer 4-String Diatonic Instrument
Making it easy to play stringed musical instruments for experts and novice, Merlin Spruce SG Dulcimer 4-String Diatonic Instrument is another Seagull dulcimer that has found its way to on the list. One of the main attractions of Seagull dulcimer is that they are the best dulcimers that a person can get at the rates they offer.
Since dulcimers are supposed to make exceptionally soothing sounds, no one really cares about the aesthetical aspects of the same. However, that does not pull us back when reviewing a dulcimer from Seagull as they take great care and show tremendous craftsmanship to make the dulcimers look and feel the best.
When it comes to designing and crafting the best dulcimers, it is safe to assume that Seagull knows their game the best.
- One of the key features of the dulcimer is its design and the way it feels at your arm when playing it.
- Enhancing the usability of the dulcimer, the build and shape of the same proves as an advantage since it fits nicely at the arms of people from different age-groups.
- With a solid spruce top, the dulcimer rocks a vintage look making it a treat to even behold.
Customers who bought this said:
- Unlike many dulcimers in the market, the Seagull 039227 Merlin Spruce SG Dulcimer 4-String is smooth and easy to play.
- As the instrument is compact and light, it is easily playable for kids as well.
- For a stringed instrument this compact, the sound it is able to produce is exceptionally smooth and loud.
- The build of the dulcimer feels strong, posh and of high quality making is one of the best dulcimers, at, of course, at this price range.
Dulcimer Buyer’s Guide: What to look for while buying dulcimers?
Dulcimer people can make music that is heartfelt and intimate like no other musicians can. A major credit to this nature of the music is to be attributed to the little instrument, dulcimer, itself.
As there are numerous options when it comes to buying a dulcimer, in order to get the best dulcimer that can produce incredible sounds, one needs to pay attention to a few important aspects.
So, what makes for the best dulcimers?
In simpler words, the best dulcimer is made of a combination of factors as given below, depending on the requirements of the buyer;
The Body of the Dulcimer
One of the most decisive parts that make for the best mountain dulcimer is definitely the body of the dulcimer that holds the most important parts of the instrument, the strings.
- Shape of the instrument: There are two important shapes; the teardrop shape and the hourglass. If you happen to play the instrument standing, hourglass is preferred for more maneuverability. In case, you prefer to play it sitting, either would just be fine.
- Depth of the sides: The deeper the sides, the deeper the sound produced. You can decide on the type of the dulcimer based on the tone of the sounds that you expect from it.
- Bridge placement: In the more traditional or older instruments, the bridge occupies a place closer to or on the tail of the dulcimer. However, in the more contemporary ones, the bridge is usually placed away from the tail. This is done so as to create a more guitar-like articulated sound.
- Choice of the wood on the back and the sides: Though it has less direct influence on the sounds a dulcimer can make; aesthetics and durability of the same depends on the woods used.
The size of the dulcimer
It is natural that once you get more acquainted with the dulcimer, you will find it limiting when you need more range with it. Larger dulcimers usually have fittingly bigger soundbox delivering fuller sounds than smaller ones can.
If you buy a smaller one, eventually you may need to consider buying another dulcimer. So consider where you would want to go down the line with the one you plan to buy and choose wisely.
The wood-choice of the soundboard
If the player desires to have a warmer sound from the dulcimer, a tonewood is mostly preferred. If this is the choice that a player makes, then cedar or spruce is the best to go with. On the other hand, for those who look for a thinner or brighter tone, cherry, walnut or maple is preferable.
Tuning of the dulcimers
Dulcimers that come with angled-pin blocks are more easily tuned and provide better accuracy than others. If you have concerns about tuning, then it is wise that you choose dulcimers without more than three strings.
The cost of the dulcimers:
It is advised that you do not buy a dulcimer on the spur of the moment; paying less or more. Consider your options; think about what your requirements are and what you really need the instrument for. Carry out a few researches; take opinions from your friends, to settle to buy the best dulcimer for sale that you won’t regret buying in the future.
As many of the reviews points it, can anyone play a dulcimer easily?
In short, yes. Anyone can play a dulcimer, easily. Dulcimers are mostly designed keeping in mind people who have no experience in playing any instrument or no musical ability. Additionally, the learning curve of the dulcimers is a short one, which makes it easy to learn for anyone with little to no musical affinities.
Is it a good buy for kids?
Of course, it is. One of the more popular uses of a dulcimer is to use it as a basic learning instrument for kids who want to seriously consider learning guitar or any other stringed instruments. Besides, dulcimers are often the ideal start for anyone who wants an introduction to playing stringed musical instruments.
Do I get a case with the dulcimer I order?
Well, it depends. Some of the dulcimers do come with a case while some others do not. If the dulcimer you order does not come with a case, there are several retailers that sell dulcimer cases. You can select one that fits you.
Do you provide any handbooks so as to help me with tuning of the dulcimer?
Some of the dulcimers available in the market do come with instruction manuals that help you understand and learn everything about tuning of the same. It is pretty much easy and involves no such intricate adjustments. If you need more instructions and help, there are plenty available online as written and video instructions. Those will be able to help you as much as you need.
I have found one of my friends playing it without a pick. Do I have to have a pick to play this, too?
No you do not necessarily have to. Some people prefer playing the dulcimer with the help of a pick and others do not. You can play it anyway you please it. However, having a pick to support playing helps you get better and more tone, though.
If I need to get more songs to play, where do I get them?
There are several songbooks available online and shops to help you learn play several songs. If you search for accessories, you will be able to find several such books.
Are there gig bags that come with dulcimers?
Most dulcimers do not offer gig bags with them. If you need to get one, you can search for the one that fits your requirements from any of the online retailers or musical shops.
How is the sound coming from the dulcimer? Does the sound carry well?
The sounds that come from the dulcimer are beautiful and loud. For a small instrument like this, the sound really is bright.
Can I easily learn playing other instruments, if I am good at playing dulcimer?
It depends on your ability to get acquainted with any instrument. However, being comfortable with playing a dulcimer can no doubt help you learn other stringed instruments much easier than otherwise.